NOTE: To place order using Credit Card, P-Card, or Purchase Order – please choose kit size above and click “Add to cart” button. You can place order online without creating an account.
Transfection Reagent for SK-N-SH Cells (Neuroblastoma Cells, HTB-11)
- Proprietary cationic lipids formulation
High transfection efficiency of small RNA (siRNA, shRNA, miRNA), mRNA, pDNA
A proven reagent for establishing stable cell lines
Optimized transfection protocols are adapted for use with both standard & reverse transfection methods
- Download PowerPoint presentation for SK-N-SH cells transfection kit: [PPT]
Developed and manufactured by Altogen Biosystems
Reagent exhibits at least 81% transfection efficiency of siRNA delivery. Transfection efficiency was determined by qRT-PCR.
Transfection Protocol and MSDS:
Download Altogen Biosystems SK-N-SH Transfection Protocol: [PDF]
Download MSDS: [PDF]
SK-N-SH Cell Line:
The SK-N-SH cell line was established by J.L. Biedler from brain tissue of a 4-year-old female patient who suffered from neuroblastoma. SK-N-SH cells make for a good transfection host, and show a higher doubling time as well as higher levels of dopamine-beta-hydroxylase production. SH-SY5Y is a triple-cloned neuroblastoma which originated in 1978 from the SK-N-SH line. A neuroblast -like subclone of SK-N-SH, named SH-SY, was subcloned as SH-SY5, which was subcloned again as SH-SY5Y. This cell line is genetically female, with two X chromosomes. The original SK-N-SH line was derived in 1970 from a four year old girl during a bone marrow biopsy of a metastatic neuroblastoma. SH-SY5Y possess an abnormal chromosome called trisomy 1q. The cell line has been shown to be dopamine beta hydroxylase active, acetylcholinergic, glutamatergic and adenosinergic. SH-SY5Y propagate through mitosis and differentiate by extending neurites to the surrounding area. The dividing cells can form clusters of cells which are reminders of their cancerous nature, but certain treatments such as retinoic acid and BDNF can force the cells to dendrify and differentiate. It has been shown that citrus limonoid glucosides are toxic to SH-SY5Y cancer cells.
Figure 1. siRNAs targeting Lamin A/C mRNA or non-silencing control siRNA were transfected into SKNSH cells following the recommended protocol. At 48 hours post-transfection the cells were analyzed by qRT-PCR for Lamin A/C gene expression levels. 18S rRNA levels were used to normalize the Lamin A/C data. Values are normalized to untreated sample. Data are means ± SD (n=4).
Figure 2. Protein expression of Lamin A in SK-N-SH cells. DNA plasmid expressing Lamin A or siRNA targeting Lamin A were transfected into SK-N-SH cells following Altogen Biosystems transfection protocol. At 72 hours post-transfection the cells were analyzed by Western Blot for protein expression levels (normalized by total protein, 10 µg of total protein loaded per each well). Untreated cells used as a negative control.
Selected in vivo transfection product citations (ALTOGEN® IN VIVO Transfection Kits used in the following publications):
- 2008 454(7203):523-7. Innate immunity induced by composition-dependent RIG-I …Saito et al [PDF]
- Am J Pathology. 2010 177(4):1870-80. Role of ocular complement factor H in a murine model … Lyzogubov et al [PDF]
- Nature Biotechnology. 2011 29(4):341-5. Delivery of siRNA to the mouse brain by … Alvarez-Erviti et al [PDF]
- Circulation Research. 2010 15;107(8). Kruppel-like factor-4 transcriptionally regulates … Cowan et al [PDF]
- 2012 59(1):158-66. Role of uncoupled endothelial nitric oxide synthase … Gao et al [PDF]
- Jounal of Biological Chemistry. 2012 287(4):2907. Chaperoning of mutant p53 protein … Gogna et al [PDF]
- PLoS Pathogens. 2012 8(8) Uridine composition of the poly-U/UC tract of HCV RNA … Schnell et al [PDF]
- J Proteome Res. 2012(11) Retinal proteome analysis in a mouse model of oxygen-induced … Kim et al [PDF]
- 2011 141(2) Differential type I interferon-mediated autophagic trafficking … Desai et al [PDF]
- PLoS Pathog. 2014 10(10) Exosomes from hepatitis C infected patients transmit HCV … Bukong et al [PDF]
Altogen Biosystems manufacturers preoptimized transfection kits for cancer research. Reagents and transfection protocols are optimized for individual cancer cell lines. Altogen Biosystems developed two types of in vivo delivery kits for animal research: Tissue-targeted reagents (delivery into liver, pancreas, and kidney tissues), and in vivo biodistribution reagents (PEG-Liposome, Nanoparticle, Lipid, and Polymer-based kits). Optimized transfection protocols provide efficient intracellular delivery of proteins, DNA, and RNA molecules in vitro and in vivo. Read more about transfection technology at Altogen’s Transfection Resource.
Altogen Labs Research Services:
Altogen Labs provides GLP-compliant contract research studies for pre-clinical research, IND applications, and drug development. Biology CRO services include: Xenograft models (30+), development of stable cell lines, ELISA assay development, cell-based and tissue targeted RNAi studies, safety pharm/tox assays, and other studies (visit AltogenLabs.com).
- 0.5 ml (Catalog #6915)
- 1.5 ml (Catalog #6916)
- 1.5 ml CRISPR (Catalog #2196)
- 8.0 ml (Catalog #7088)