NOTE: To place order using Credit Card, P-Card, or Purchase Order – please choose kit size above and click “Add to cart” button. You can place order online without creating an account.
Transfection Reagent for SW480 Cells (Colon Adenocarcinoma Cells, CCL-228)
- A biodegradable polymer based transfection agent – once inside the cell, the polymer degrades into smaller less toxic components reducing cell toxicity, facilitating release of the transgene, and improving transfection efficiency
- Effective transfection under conditions of up to 40% serum
- Gentle enough to be used for single cell analysis
- Download SW480 CRISPR/Cas9 transfection protocol: [PDF]
- Download PowerPoint presentation for SW480 cells transfection kit: [PPT]
- Developed and manufactured by Altogen Biosystems
Reagent exhibits at least 82% transfection efficiency of siRNA delivery. Transfection efficiency was determined by qRT-PCR.
Transfection Protocol and MSDS:
Download Altogen Biosystems SW 480 Transfection Protocol: [PDF]
Download MSDS: [PDF]
SW480 Cell Line:
Colorectal cancer is the second primary cause of cancer-related deaths in men, accounting for nearly 50,000 fatalities annually in the United States, as per the American Cancer Society (ACS). Colorectal cancer cell lines are extensively employed in preclinical colon cancer research and represent accurate molecular models of primary carcinomas. The SW480 cell line was established from a Dukes type B tumor in the colon of a 50-year-old Caucasian male patient with colorectal adenocarcinoma. The cells exhibit an epithelial morphology, and are susceptible to human immunodeficiency virus 1. Also, The SW480 cell line is negative for colon antigen 3 and colon-specific antigen-p and produces granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor. This cell line is positive for keratin by immunoperoxidase staining. SW480 display elevated levels of p53 protein, and positively expresses c-myc, K-ras, H-ras, N-ras, sis, myb, and fos oncogenes. SW480 cells have a mutation in the 12 codon of the ras p.o.gene, and therefore can be used in PCR assays of mutation for this codon. This cell line is widely used in biomedical research related to the search for treatments for colon cancer. Altogen Biosystems provides polymer-based transfection kits for the SW480 cell line.
Figure 1. siRNAs targeting Lamin A/C mRNA or non-silencing control siRNA were transfected into SW480 cells following the recommended protocol. At 48 hours post-transfection the cells were analyzed by qRT-PCR for Lamin A/C gene expression levels. 18S rRNA levels were used to normalize the Lamin A/C data. Values are normalized to untreated sample. Data are means ± SD (n=4).
Figure 2. Protein expression of Lamin A/C in SW480 cells. DNA plasmid expressing Lamin A/C or siRNA targeting Lamin A/C were transfected into SW480 cells following Altogen Biosystems transfection protocol. At 72 hours post-transfection the cells were analyzed by Western Blot for protein expression levels (normalized by total protein, 10 µg of total protein loaded per each well). Untreated cells used as a negative control.
Selected in vivo transfection product citations (ALTOGEN® IN VIVO Transfection Kits used in the following publications):
- 2008 454(7203):523-7. Innate immunity induced by composition-dependent RIG-I …Saito et al [PDF]
- Am J Pathology. 2010 177(4):1870-80. Role of ocular complement factor H in a murine model … Lyzogubov et al [PDF]
- Nature Biotechnology. 2011 29(4):341-5. Delivery of siRNA to the mouse brain by … Alvarez-Erviti et al [PDF]
- Cancer Research. 2011 71(15):5144-53. Inhibition of miR-193a expression by… Iliopoulos et al [PDF]
- 2010 16(11):2108-19. RNase L releases a small RNA from HCV RNA that refolds … Malathi et al [PDF]
Altogen Biosystems is a life sciences company that offers cell type-specific and pre-optimized transfection products, electroporation kits, and in vivo delivery reagents. Advanced formulation of reagents and optimized transfection protocols provide efficient intracellular delivery of protein, DNA, mRNA, shRNA and siRNA molecules. Read more about transfection technology at Altogen’s Transfection Resource.
Altogen Research Services:
Altogen Labs provides GLP-compliant contract research studies for pre-clinical research, IND applications, and drug development. Biology CRO services include: Xenograft models (30+), development of stable cell lines, ELISA assay development, cell-based and tissue targeted RNAi studies, safety pharm/tox assays, and other studies (visit AltogenLabs.com).
- 0.5 ml (Catalog #6920)
- 1.5 ml (Catalog #6921)
- 1.5 ml CRISPR (Catalog #2198)
- 8.0 ml (Catalog #6922)